What is VoiceThread?
A VoiceThread (VT) is an online presentation that allows people to discuss media by making comments that combine voice, video, or text, and annotations. People participate whenever and wherever they want. These conversations aren’t live – they just feel that way.
If you need some help with VT, you’re in the right place. At CUNY SPS we have integrated VT into Blackboard, so access generally starts in Blackboard. Check out the resources below to get your questions answered:
Why Use VoiceThread?
- To create interactive class introductions
- To upload video mini-lectures and invite interactive responses
- For group presentations that provide practice with public speaking
- To address multiple learning styles
- A More dynamic alternative to text-based discussion boards
- Over 50 different types of media can be used in a VoiceThread
- Seamless integration with Blackboard and Grade Center
- Five commenting options: microphone, webcam, text, audio-file upload, and phone
- Three assignment options: Create a VoiceThread, Comment on a VoiceThread, Watch a VoiceThread
For an idea of the types of things you can do with Voice Thread, browse the VoiceThread library.
The VoiceThread Grader
Using the assignment builder to create a VT assignment will offer features to make the experience much more efficient. VT has tightened the integration with Blackboard and streamlined the workflow to better guide everyone through the process. See the VoiceThread for SPS Faculty page for details.