CUNY SPS is increasing access to higher education by reducing textbook costs for students and embracing the principles of Open Pedagogy. Through the support of the New York State Open Educational Resources Initiative, SPS faculty are creating Z-degrees, Zero-Textbook-Cost (ZTC) courses, and open educational resources, including texts, syllabi, ancillaries, and videos. All of these materials can be accessed through the CUNY Academic Works SPS > OER page and on opened.cuny.edu.
In Fall 2020, OER@SPS reached the $1 million mark for student savings!
At CUNY-SPS, you can study for an undergraduate degree in Communication & Media or in Sociology with no textbook costs at all. As of Fall 2020, 92% of General Education courses at SPS are also ZTC. For more info, including how to find and register for a ZTC course in CUNYfirst, check out the Zero Textbook Cost Courses page on the SPS webpage.
OER Workshop for SPS Faculty
This asynchronous online workshop provides a deep dive into OER and how to find, evaluate and integrate them into courses. In the first week of the workshop, faculty learn about OER and participate in discussions with colleagues. In the second week, faculty select OER or ZTC content to adopt for one of their courses and create a plan for integrating the new materials into the course.
Participants completing this workshop will
- Define the various types of OER and ZTC materials
- Distinguish between the different OER permissions for adoption, attribution, and reuse
- Identify collections of resources that provide OER and ZTC materials relevant to their own course and discipline
- Evaluate OER and ZTC content using appropriate standards and criteria
- Select an OER textbook or other OER or ZTC content for inclusion in their course
- Draft a plan or outline that can be used to implement revisions or integration of the chosen OER/ZTC materials within their course
The OER workshop is offered in Winter and Summer semesters. Inquire with your Academic Director about the possibility of participating.
OER by SPS Faculty
- Introducing Developmental Disability Through a Disability Studies Perspective
- PHIL 110 Logic and Critical Thinking Reader
- A Guide to Open Educational Resources, Zero Textbook Cost and Low Textbook Cost Materials for CUNY Faculty is a collection of resources on OER and Open Pedagogy from throughout CUNY and beyond
- CUNY SPS OER page on CUNY Academic Works
- CUNY Open Educational Resources (opened.cuny.edu) is the CUNY microsite of the OER Commons. Opened.cuny.edu is a place to post your own OER and to find OER. The site includes a tool to search for materials based on CUNY course alignments.